Chief and Council have initiated the Pandemic Response Plan effective immediately. It will be shared and distributed to each household, including community contact lists with other pertinent organizations and applicable referral systems
- All band and community offices will be operating from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm for the week of Monday, March 23 – 27, 2020 – ALL NON-ESSENTIAL programming will cease until further notice and will be evaluated on a daily basis.
- Chief and Council and essential staff will work scheduled shifts to limit possible risks of infection.
- Travel Restrictions are in place for all Band Staff and all travel is suspended until further notice.
- The community events and meetings have been postponed until further notice unless we are able to conference or video conference.
- The March 28, 2020 General Band Meeting is postponed with plans to provide webinar or Skype presentation for Flooding Settlement information.
- A community-based checkpoint has been implemented to monitor those entering the community. Please be advised that workers reserve the right to turn people away based on their health questionnaire or non-members of our Nation.
- Priority for COVID-19 Pandemic Emergency Assistance: Elders, residents with chronic illnesses, expectant mothers, and families with young children.
- Emergency Pandemic Assistance supports will be available at band office. If you live out of town, support or assistance can be picked up on your behalf.
- Ceremonies continue as well as Traditional medicines are present and available to help protect the community and keep us healthy.
- Band staff have been preparing and stocking additional food and supplies to be released in the event of a major crisis.
We encourage you to check-up and take care of extended families or those who may need additional support during this time.
At this time there are no confirmed cases of exposure or contact with the COVID-19 virus of residents of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation. If you think you have been exposed and are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 contact Telehealth Ontario – 1 866-797-0000
For additional resources and information on the COVID-19 Pandemic Stimulus Package, see the Government of Canada website.
Band and Community Members are encouraged to restrict unnecessary travel but in the event that they are required to travel, the Chief and Council of Niisaachewaan Anishinaabe Nation is requesting that upon return, the individual(s) self-quarantine for 2 weeks as a precautionary measure.
We appreciate everyone’s participation and encourage everyone to follow the directions of health and safety officials. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
All band and community offices will be closed on the weekends; in case of emergencies a contact list has been provided.