Please be advised that due to recent concerns regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, or COVID-19 and in order to minimize the impact of an epidemic / pandemic outbreak in our community and territory, the Chief and Council of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation have deemed it necessary to enact the following actions:
- All band and community offices will be partially closed for 2 weeks (beginning Friday, March 13, 2020) – ALL NON-ESSENTIAL programming will be closed until further notice.
- Essential staff of 10 or less will work scheduled hours to limit possible risks of infection.
- Travel Restrictions are in place for all Band Staff and all travel is suspended until further notice.
- The community events and meetings have been postponed until further notice.
- The March 28, 2020 General Band Meeting is postponed with plans to provide webinar or Skype presentation for Flooding Settlement information.
- A community-based checkpoint has been implemented to monitor those entering the community. Please be advised that workers reserve the right to turn those away based on health questionnaire.
- Priority for COVID-19 Pandemic Emergency Assistance: Residents living with chronic illnesses, expectant mothers, Elders, and families with young children.
- Emergency Pandemic Assistance supports will be available at band office. If you live out of town, support or assistance can be picked up on your behalf.
- Councillor Reno Cameron attended ceremonies and has been given instruction to provide community with traditional medicines to help protect the community and keep us healthy.
- Band staff have been preparing and stocking additional food supplies to be released in the event of a major crisis.
We encourage you to check-up and take care of extended families or those who may need additional support during this time.
At this time there are no confirmed cases of exposure or contact with the COVID-19 virus of residents of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation.
If you think you have been exposed and are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 contact Telehealth Ontario – 1 866-797-0000.
For additional resources and information on the COVID-19 Pandemic Stimulus Package, see the Government of Canada website.
Band and Community Members are encouraged to restrict unnecessary travel but in the event that they are required to travel, the Chief and Council of Niisaachewaan Anishinaabe Nation is requesting that upon return, the individual(s) self-quarantine for 2 weeks as a precautionary measure.
We appreciate everyone’s participation and encourage everyone to follow the directions of health and safety officials. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Attached is our staff listing for contact information and phone numbers should you require assistance or support.