Be advised that due to the Global Pandemic COVID-19 and in order to minimize the impact of an epidemic / pandemic outbreak in our community and homelands, Chief and Council of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation have deemed it necessary to enact the following actions:
- Chief and Council have initiated the Pandemic Response Plan effective immediately. It has been shared and distributed to each household, including community contact lists with other pertinent organizations and applicable referral systems
- All band and community offices will be operating from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm for the week of March 23 – 27, 2020 – ALL NON-ESSENTIAL programming will cease until further notice and will be evaluated on a daily basis.
- Travel Restrictions for CC and Staff and is suspended until further notice.
- The community events and meetings have been postponed until further notice unless we are able to conference or video-conference.
- The March 28, 2020 General Band Meeting is postponed with plans to provide webinar or Skype presentation for Pertinent Information
- A 24-Hour Community-Based Checkpoint is operational to monitor those entering the community. Be advised that our workers reserve the right to turn those away based on health questionnaire or non-members of our Nation.
- Priority for COVID-19 Pandemic Assistance: Elders, residents with chronic illnesses, expectant mothers, and families with young children for all Band Members. This is our PRIORITY at this time. If you live out of town please email to email@example.com or Council. Support or assistance can be picked up on your behalf. Please call ahead of time.
- Traditional medicines are present and available to help protect the community.
- Staff are still stocking additional food and supplies which will be released in the event of a major crisis or lock down.
We encourage you to check-up and take care of your extended families or those who may need additional support during this time.
At this time, there are NO confirmed cases of exposure or contact with the COVID-19 virus of residents of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation. If you think you have been exposed and are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 contact Telehealth Ontario – 1 866-797-0000 or NWHU at 807-468-3147 or after hours at 807-468-7109
For additional resources and information on the COVID-19 Pandemic Stimulus Package, see the Government of Canada website or our community website at www.niisaachewan.ca.
Band and Community Members are encouraged to restrict unnecessary travel but, in the event, that you must travel, Chief and Council of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation requests that upon return, the individual(s) self-quarantine for 2 weeks as a precautionary measure.
We appreciate everyone’s cooperation, patience, and encourage everyone to follow the directions of health and safety officials. We’re doing our very best to protect our community and our members as best we can. We continue to pray and put our offerings down.