Be advised that due to the Global Pandemic COVID-19 and in order to minimize the impact of an epidemic / pandemic outbreak in our community and homelands, Chief and Council of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation have deemed it necessary to enact the following actions:
- Chief and Council have initiated the Pandemic Response Plan effective immediately and is being reviewed and updated as we speak. It will be shared on Monday April 6, 2020. It has been shared and distributed to each household, including community contact lists with other pertinent organizations and applicable referral systems
- Band Office and Water Treatment Plant will be operating from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm for the week of April 6-9, 2020 (Friday office will be closed) – ALL NON-ESSENTIAL programming will cease until further notice and will be evaluated on a daily basis.
- Travel Restrictions for CC and Staff is suspended until further notice.
- Community events have been cancelled and meetings continue via-teleconference.
- Elections have been postponed until May 23, 2020 as per Chief & Council and Headspeople. All documentation and minutes will be distributed to your Headsperson, our website and Chief & Council.
- A 24-Hour Community-Based Checkpoint is operational to monitor those entering the community. Be advised that our workers reserve the right to turn people away based on their health questionnaire. Please review updates.
- EMERGENCY PANDEMIC ASSISTANCE #2 – Priority for COVID-19 Pandemic Assistance: Elders, residents with chronic illnesses, expectant mothers, and families with young children for all Band Members. This is our PRIORITY at this time. If you live out of town please email to email@example.com
- Traditional medicines are present and available to help protect the community.
- Staff have stocked additional food and supplies which will be released in the event of a major crisis or lock down.
We encourage you to check-up and take care of your extended families or those who may need additional support during this time.
At this time, there are NO confirmed cases of exposure or contact with the COVID-19 virus of residents of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation. If you think you have been exposed and are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 contact Telehealth Ontario – 1 866-797-0000 or NWHU at 807-468-3147 or after hours at 807-468-7109
For additional resources and information on the COVID-19 Pandemic Stimulus Package, see the Government of Canada website or this website.
Band and Community Members are encouraged to restrict unnecessary travel but, in the event, that you must travel, Chief and Council of Niisaachewan Anishinaabe Nation requests that upon return, the individual(s) self-quarantine for 2 weeks as a precautionary measure.
We appreciate everyone’s cooperation, patience, and encourage everyone to follow the directions of health and safety officials. We’re doing our very best to protect our community and our members as best we can. We continue to pray and put our offerings down.
In cases of emergency, each household and band member has received Chief & Council emails, cellphone and home phone numbers or can be contacted via Facebook messenger.